ADINKRA AND THE VISUALISATION OF MATHEMATICAL IDEAS


This observation about Adinkra as symbols that defy simple verbalisation comes from Faux and Gates’s paper “Adinkras: A Graphical Technology for Supersymmetric Representation Theory”[1]. It initiates a research program in theoretical physics which reflects a quote from an other intrepid hungerer after knowledge, Aristotle, in one of the program’s papers that “Thought is impossible without an image”[2]. This research effort represents an instance, in their own words, of “important examples in which theoretical physics incorporates elegant motifs to represent mathematical conceptions that are vastly simplified thereby”.

I had to find out more. I tried reading their papers but of course, since I am still struggling with basic numeracy I did not understand much but the little I understood intrigued and inflamed me further. If I could learn to grasp these ideas in whatever length of time, after any length of years, it would a most wonderful enlargement of my self, of that self in me that is constituted by what I have succeeded in learning, in assimilating to the world that I am.


[1]Michael Faux and S. J. Gates, Jr,Adinkras: A Graphical Technology for Supersymmetric Representation Theory arXiv:hep-th/0408004 v1. 2 Aug 2004.1.

[2] C.F.Dorana, M.G. Fauxb, S.J. Gates, Jr.c, T.H¨ubschd, K.M. Igae and G.D. Landweber “A Counter-Example to a Putative Classificationof 1-Dimensional, N-extended Supermultiplets” arXiv:hep-th/0611060v2. 17 Apr 2007.1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE ADINKRA COMMUNITY

SPECULATIVE RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN ADINKRA SYMBOLISM AND FULANI COSMOGONY

THE MATHEMATICAL SYMMETRIES OF ADINKRA AS MENTAL VEHICLES FOR THE EXPLORATION OF THE UNKNOWN